Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day no longer for Remebering

But it's the mark of the beginning of summer, or a big sale day, or the end of a large sale weekend. When did society become so insensitive? It used to be about remembering fallen soldiers and the sacrifices of veterans now it's about what retail store I can find the best deals in or who is throwing the barbecue with the best food! I'm not trying to sound self righteous I am just thinking out loud because I am committed of the same crime. When I think of Memorial Day I think of the beach....I love the beach and I wish I had been there today. Instead I spent my day in my sister's apartment with my cousins and my mom playing rock band and tekken 4 while helping her cook food on the grill. It was a pleasant way to spend the day. I am appreciative that even in a big ass building of cement cubicles surrounded by acrid smelling urban air there are luxuries such as grilled food available. It makes my annoyance with life bearable.

back to my original topic...why is it that we have let these humane aspects of our societal practices drift away? Have we become such a cold society, that we can only focus on getting ahead instead of the people who surround us. It is such a taboo to ask personal questions of people. I think I watch too many old movies, I'm a bit of a Turner Classic Movies junkie, where people would just start conversations at a bar, in a restaurant, waiting for a train. You got to meet people then, have pleasant conversations and call it a day. Now it's always what do they want, what will the consequences of this conversation be, how does this help me? Have we really become so jaded or is it just a city mentality? I don't like feeling that way. I like meeting people, having conversations with them, learning things they know, finding what they can teach me....but that's hard to do when people are so apprehensive about having conversations with strangers. You can talk to people without the chance of being murdered, you just have to think before you speak. Having an extended vocabulary can probably help with that...which leads into my next topic.

I am going to start a word of the day series, putting up the new word of the day for the next day at night (since I always forget in the morning):

alloy: a combination of two or more things, usually metals; a mixture of two things usually with the implication the aggregate in less than the sum of the parts.

sentence: Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, since it is a combination of the two.

I also have a Spanish word and verb of the day(i'm trying to learn Sspanish over the summer)

la estanteria = the bookcase
leer = to read
Speaking of expanding skills I played my guitar two days ago, when I had some extra time before work. I learned the notes on the E string: E=open frets, F=closed 1st fret, and G=closed 3rd fret. I am on my way!! Soon I'll be playing whole songs (hopefully). If there is anyone out there in the New York area who teaches guitar for an inexpensive price and would like a student contact me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment